It has been proven via many scientific and therapeutic tests and trials that Cannabinoid containing products have natural healing abilities. The usage of Cannabinoids especially Cannabidiol has become famous since the last decade. The markets have exploded with Cannabidiol (CBD) containing products as it has several anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. These compounds have also made a grand entry in numerous skincare brands and wellness related products.
Recently, another Cannabinoid derivative named Cannabigerol (CBG) has overturned the Cannabinoid world with immense potential of therapeutic activities. Cannabigerol is a less abundant Cannabinoid that has been proven clinically to reduce inflammation and pain. It has also been proven to decrease the proliferation of cancerous cells of the liver and kidney of the human body.
Cannabidiol in general is a fairly abundant derivative in common Cannabis strains like Cannabis sativaor Cannabis ruderalis and so on. Now let us find out why CBG is better than CBD?
CBD or CBG which is better
- Although Cannabigerol is a lesser abundant derivative of Cannabinoids, via rigorous clinical trials it has been proven to be non-intoxicating and mostly hypoallergenic. This is where the difference between CBD and CBG lies. CBD has been proven to cause toxic reactions and side effects in about 15-20% of the people who opted for it.
- Before going to any further conclusion among two isomers of Cannabinoids let us first know a little more about the difference between these two compounds.
- The Cannabigerol is formed from the Cannabigerolic acid via deacidification of the latter compound. On the other hand, Cannabidiol is created by the deacidification reaction of Cannabidiolic acid.
- The major parent compound which is obtained from the Cannabis plant is Cannabigerolic acid. This is produced after a plant has reached a mature stage in its life cycle. Cannabigerol acid goes via several stages of deacidification, condensation, and acetylation reactions.
- In the biosynthesis method of Cannabinoids related compounds, Cannabigerol is the primary compound synthesized from Cannabigerolic acid. This is also the reason why it is very low in abundance and it is very expensive to procure it.
- Cannabigerol or CBG plays the role of a parent during the synthesis of both Cannabidiol and THC and hence has a higher degree of unsaturation.
This indicates that you need a highly efficient method of purification and filtration in order to obtain CBG in its purest form.
Although there is not a clear demarcation yet as a better compound in terms of actions and efficacy we can sense that Cannabigerol is slightly more beneficial among the two.
This is the reason the researchers have started creating efficient synthetic mechanisms and opted for genetic engineering techniques to increase the production of Cannabigerol from Cannabis plants. In this aspect modifying the genes related to Cannabigerol production might increase the production and biosynthesis of it and using an inhibitor for later stage enzymes controlling the synthesis of CBD or THC can be a beneficial method.
Although some people prefer organically extracted Cannabigerol. In order to get the maximum amount of our desired Cannabigerol via completely organic methods, it can be extracted from 6 to 8 weeks old flowers of the hemp herbs.